Find Your Local Centre
About our Programmes
Tumble Tots Shop
New Items in our shop.
Courgette Risotto - One of the winners of the Eat fit keep fit competition
Comforting C-food Meal (C is for chicken, carrot, curry & cheese!)
2 fresh chicken breasts cut into thin stir-fry strips
1 cup of carrot cubes
1/2 cup of onion strips
1 cup of lettuce strips
1 cup of grated cheddar & mozzarella cheese
2 tsps of mild curry powder
3 tsps of cooking oil
Dash of sesame oil
Dash of salt
2 cups of long-grain rice (preferably Thai Jasmine)
1. Boil & simmer to cook the rice (turn off the fire at 20 mins and let it stand covered for 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime, heat the cooking oil in a large frying pan together with the carrots & onions for 3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken strips, then the sesame oil, salt & curry powder & stir well for another 5 minutes.
4. When the rice is cooked, scoop it into the frying pan to mix well to flavour the rice.
5. Dish the rice into the 4 relevant portions and top off each portion with cheese & lettuce.
6. Enjoy this quick comforting C-food meal, (wonder why this is called C food meal as you relish the lovely fusion of curry & cheese).
The tomato and pineapple juices combine to make a delicious flavoured sauce in this recipe without the need to add either salt or sugar. Chicken will love the sweetness of the pineapple and six different types and vegetables make this dish a great way to boost your five-a-day.
250g pack mini chicken fillets
1 x 420g tin pineapple in natural juice
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 x 200g tin sweetcorn, drained
150-200g basmati rice (depending on appetite)
1. Pre heat oven to 180Ëš/ Fan 170Ëš/ Gas mark 4
2. Dice the chicken and place into a large ovenproof casserole dish
3. Add all the other ingredients including the juice from the pineapple
4. Mix all the ingredients and ensure the chicken is under the liquid
5. Place in oven for 1 hour
6. At end of cooking time you may need to mix 1-2tsp cornflower with cold water and add this to the sauce to thicken it to desired consistency
7. Cook the rice as per instructions on packet and serve.
Alternatives: Serve with pasta if children prefer
1 sweet potato
1 x 400 g can chickpeas
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp fresh mint
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp lemon juice
4 x pitta breads
1/2 iceberg lettuce (shredded)
1 tub greek yogurt
1. Bake sweet potato in its skin in the oven on 200c for 30 minutes
2. Scoop out the flesh from the potato the put in a food processor with all of the other ingredients. Whizz until smooth, then roll into golf ball sizes and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes in fridge, fry in olive oil on a medium heat for 10 minutes until golden.
4. Meanwhile place some lettuce in the bottom of the pitta bread. Place cooked falafels inside and serve with dollop of greek yogurt.
1 pepper with the stalk removed, halved and deseeded
2 large courgettes washed and cut into 2" pieces
2 medium onions, peeled and halved
3 cloves of garlic (whole)
8 medium size tomatoes cut into halves
1 sprig of rosemary
1 pack of Penne Pasta
0.5 pint of vegetable stock
A small amount of grated cheese
1. Place all the vegetables into an oven proof dish and drizzle with Olive Oil
2. Place in a pre heated oven at 190 degrees and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until all the vegetables are tender
3. Place the Penne Pasta into a pan of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes (or as directions on the packet)
4. As the pasta is cooking remove the oven proof dish from the oven and discard the stem from the rosemary.
5. Place the roasted vegetables into a liquidiser and blend until smooth
6. Add the vegetable stock and blend again
7. Drain the pasta and place in a serving dish
8. Pour the sauce from the liquidiser over the pasta and garnish with the grated cheese
Note: Can be served with garlic bread
Try making double the quantity and freezing in meal size portions for adults and children in freezer proof bowls. Small containers for the toddler can be transported for a nutritious healthy meal when out and about.
Declan's Terrific Turkey
Small pot of natural yogurt
Turkey thigh cut into strips
1 tbsp chicken seasoning
1 red onion (chopped)
2 carrots (cut into sticks)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
2 leeks (sliced)
Chicken stock cube
1. Cook rice in salted boiling water with the chicken stock cube
2. Spray frying pan with oil and cook onion, carrot, leeks, garlic and turkey until turkey is browned
3. Add chicken seasoning, turn down heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in yogurt - reheat gently and serve with rice
300g lamb mince
1 red pepper
2 cloves garlic
Small butternut squash or gourd
200g frozen peas
2 sticks celery
300g risotto rice
1. Fry the lamb until browned and drain
2. With some of the fat and juices saute the chopped onions, garlic and celery until opaque then add the chopped pepper, parsnip, squash and brown lamb
3. Cook for 5 minutes before adding the rice, cook for a further few minutes until all the juices have been absorbed
4. Add sufficient water for the rice to absorb and a little over (approx 350ml)
5. Add the peas and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the rice is cooked
Alternatives: Turkey mince can also be used